To be robbed while on vacation is the nightmare of many – unfortunately it happens very often! In this article I will tell you what you can do in such a situation and how you can possibly get compensation.
There is probably nothing that can spoil your holiday mood more than being robbed! Money gone, cell phone gone, passport gone – what do you do in such a situation ? I did a little research for you and came across some useful tips that you should heed in the event of theft on vacation.
You have to do this if you are robbed on vacation
The first thing you have to do in the event of theft is of course to file a complaint. So you can show something to your insurance company at home and maybe even get the damage reimbursed. But that depends entirely on your insurance. With household insurance, for example, you can take out ” external insurance” for your vacation, which then pays for the damage in the event of burglary or robbery. However, this insurance does not apply to trick theft. If your bank and credit cards have been stolen, you should of course have them blocked immediately. The bank is only liable for any damage from the time you reported the theft.
Theft of the suitcase
According to ezinesports.com, there is separate insurance for luggage , which also covers valuables. This automatically insures the contents of the suitcase. There are exceptions, however: cash, documents or tickets are usually not insured.
Theft of travel documents
If your passport is stolen, you should of course report it immediately and inform the Austrian embassy as soon as possible . In general, you should always have a copy of your most important travel documents with you. In addition, you should find out about the Austrian representation on site before you travel – so you know in advance where it is and can act quickly. A detailed article on “ Lost your passport – what to do? “You can find articles in this travel magazine .
Theft of the driver’s license
If your driver’s license is stolen, you should find out whether you can continue driving with the loss report. A new driver’s license can only be issued in your home country.
Theft of cash
Unfortunately, there isn’t much you can do when your money is gone. At most, you can have money transferred from your relatives. If you find yourself in a real emergency and cannot find any more money to travel home, the representative authorities will also grant you a loan – provided you are not in debt.
This is how you protect yourself from theft on vacation
Of course, you can never protect yourself one hundred percent against theft, but there are a few tips that you should keep in mind:
- If you always park your car or rental car in guarded parking spaces, you play it safe.
- Do not leave valuables and luggage open in the car. You should also pack your satnavs away and not leave them visible in the car.
- Always locks the car doors when driving through the city.
- Avoid carrying large amounts of money and credit cards with you. It is best to leave everything in the hotel safe and only take small amounts of money with you.
- You shouldn’t wear electronic devices so openly but always leave them in your pocket.
- Always make sure that your bag is locked and carry it so that you can keep an eye on everything. It is best to carry cash, credit cards and passport directly on your body (e.g. in a belly or breast pocket)