The sandy desert gives the viewer the typical image of a desert, which consists of sand and sand dunes and in which of course the sun shines mercilessly from a cloudless sky. Only about 20% of all deserts on earth consist of the fine quartz sand that has shaped our image of a desert in so many films and documentaries. Here are the ten largest sandy deserts in the world, sorted in ascending order from number ten to number one:
In Turkmenistan, in Central Asia, there is the Karakum, a desert with different geographical conditions and corresponding forms of desert types from the clay desert to the desert of black sand, which roughly translates to Karakum. Of the approximately 400,000 square kilometers of desert area, a good quarter are sandy deserts.
Although the total area of the Chihuahua Desert, which is mainly in Mexico , covers almost half a million square kilometers and extends as far as Arizona in the USA, the actual sandy desert portion is only about 100,000 square kilometers. A specialty here is the White Sands gypsum desert in New Mexico, which actually consists only of gypsum crystals and takes up about 700 square kilometers.
If you want to visit the seventh largest sandy desert on earth, you have to travel to Nevada in the USA. In addition to other forms of desert and dry salt lakes, the Great Basin is also home to a sandy desert with an area of around 120,000 square kilometers.
About two thirds of the state of Syria is covered by the desert of the same name. This sandy desert also takes up parts of Jordan and Iraq. About 140,000 square kilometers of sandy desert on the Arabian Peninsula.
The Alxa or Alashan is a sandy desert in Inner Mongolia and is considered part of the Gobi Desert. With around 260,000 square kilometers, it covers by far the largest part of this autonomous region in China.
In the southwest of the Australian continent is the great Victoria Desert, the total area of which is almost 300,000 square kilometers. Most of them are sand and shifting dunes.
Like many other deserts, the Kalahari in Africa consists of various desert and savanna areas, some of which are also sandy deserts. The desert, which is largely located in Botswana and Namibia, covers a total area of around one million square kilometers, with the pure sandy desert being around 320,000 square kilometers.
Anyone who suspected that the Sahara is the largest sandy desert in the world is not entirely wrong in principle. A total of around 2.2 million square kilometers of sandy desert cover this area, but not contiguous, but interrupted by scree and gravel deserts. That is why the Sahara cannot claim the first place among the sandy deserts.
The Chinese call the Taklamakan, the second largest sand desert in the world, desert of no return for a reason. The desert in northeast China covers around 340,000 square kilometers of sandy desert with dunes that can rise to over 300 meters.
The largest contiguous sandy desert in the world and therefore the front runner is the Rub al-Kali. It covers an area of 780,000 square kilometers, with most of the desert in Saudi Arabia, but also the neighboring countries Yemen, Oman and the United Arab Emirates are covered to a smaller extent by the Rub al-Kali.
- Africa Geology
- Asia Recent History
- Bhutan Overview
- Brazil As a Tourism Country
- Ecuador The Center of The World
- How to Get to Finland
- Indonesia Travel Package
- Morocco The Atlas Mountains and The Sahara
- Oceania Territories
- Safari Trips to Africa
- Sunny Dominican Republic
- The Huge Potential of Ukraine
- Travel Destinations in Portugal
- Travel in South East Asia
- Brazil Between 1938 and 1947 Part 2 January 11, 2022 - In the meantime, we thought about the postwar period. Brazil felt that it was the main country in Latin America and was the only one that had participated in the… Read more
- Brazil Between 1938 and 1947 January 4, 2022 - The insurrection of the integralist "green shirts", on 11 May 1938, took place after a series of acts considered contrary to the ideology and interests of the totalitarian states; laws:… Read more
- Vilnius, Lithuania December 28, 2021 - Vilnius: Best of Europe! Whether as a weekend trip or a city tour, whether as part of a study trip or as a stop on tours through the Baltic States:… Read more
- Attractions in Hoi An, Vietnam December 21, 2021 - Hoi An in Vietnam: Fascinating buildings and popular excursion destinations Palm-lined dream beaches, breathtaking landscapes and countless historical buildings and sights: More and more people all over the world are… Read more
- Attractions in Mayotte December 14, 2021 - Saziley Nature Reserve on Mayotte The tricolor is blowing in front of the public buildings, but the inhabitants of the island of Mayotte in the Strait of Mozambique are African… Read more
- Balfour Castle and Kinnaird Estate, Scotland December 7, 2021 - Balfour Castle The history of Balfour Castle During a study trip to Scotland, a visit to the Orkney island of Shapinsay should not be missed out on a visit to… Read more
- Visit Cities Worth Seeing in the Netherlands November 30, 2021 - Here you will find study trips and round trips through the metropolises of the Netherlands Amsterdam Take a wonderful study tour through Amsterdam, the capital of the Netherlands. Visit Amsterdam's… Read more
- Cambodia History November 23, 2021 - The ancestors of the Cambodians, the Mon and Khmer peoples, moved to Southeast Asia before our era, probably from the north, arriving before the residents of neighboring territories: Vietnamese, Laotians… Read more
- Colombia Environment November 16, 2021 - Environment Bogotá, green city The Lonely Planet magazine of Argentina in its article entitled "10 Easy Trips" highlights the Colombian capital as an example to follow in matters of ecology and environment.… Read more
- Italy Geography November 9, 2021 - Italy - key data Area: 301,340 km² (of which land: 294,140 km², water: 7,200 km²) Population: 61.0 million (2011 estimate, CIA). Composition:Italian (includes small groups of German, French and Slovenian-Italians… Read more