The sandy desert gives the viewer the typical image of a desert, which consists of sand and sand dunes and in which of course the sun shines mercilessly from a cloudless sky. Only about 20% of all deserts on earth consist of the fine quartz sand that has shaped our image of a desert in so many films and documentaries. Here are the ten largest sandy deserts in the world, sorted in ascending order from number ten to number one:
In Turkmenistan, in Central Asia, there is the Karakum, a desert with different geographical conditions and corresponding forms of desert types from the clay desert to the desert of black sand, which roughly translates to Karakum. Of the approximately 400,000 square kilometers of desert area, a good quarter are sandy deserts.
Although the total area of the Chihuahua Desert, which is mainly in Mexico , covers almost half a million square kilometers and extends as far as Arizona in the USA, the actual sandy desert portion is only about 100,000 square kilometers. A specialty here is the White Sands gypsum desert in New Mexico, which actually consists only of gypsum crystals and takes up about 700 square kilometers.
If you want to visit the seventh largest sandy desert on earth, you have to travel to Nevada in the USA. In addition to other forms of desert and dry salt lakes, the Great Basin is also home to a sandy desert with an area of around 120,000 square kilometers.
About two thirds of the state of Syria is covered by the desert of the same name. This sandy desert also takes up parts of Jordan and Iraq. About 140,000 square kilometers of sandy desert on the Arabian Peninsula.
The Alxa or Alashan is a sandy desert in Inner Mongolia and is considered part of the Gobi Desert. With around 260,000 square kilometers, it covers by far the largest part of this autonomous region in China.
In the southwest of the Australian continent is the great Victoria Desert, the total area of which is almost 300,000 square kilometers. Most of them are sand and shifting dunes.
Like many other deserts, the Kalahari in Africa consists of various desert and savanna areas, some of which are also sandy deserts. The desert, which is largely located in Botswana and Namibia, covers a total area of around one million square kilometers, with the pure sandy desert being around 320,000 square kilometers.
Anyone who suspected that the Sahara is the largest sandy desert in the world is not entirely wrong in principle. A total of around 2.2 million square kilometers of sandy desert cover this area, but not contiguous, but interrupted by scree and gravel deserts. That is why the Sahara cannot claim the first place among the sandy deserts.
The Chinese call the Taklamakan, the second largest sand desert in the world, desert of no return for a reason. The desert in northeast China covers around 340,000 square kilometers of sandy desert with dunes that can rise to over 300 meters.
The largest contiguous sandy desert in the world and therefore the front runner is the Rub al-Kali. It covers an area of 780,000 square kilometers, with most of the desert in Saudi Arabia, but also the neighboring countries Yemen, Oman and the United Arab Emirates are covered to a smaller extent by the Rub al-Kali.
- Africa Geology
- Asia Recent History
- Bhutan Overview
- Brazil As a Tourism Country
- Ecuador The Center of The World
- How to Get to Finland
- Indonesia Travel Package
- Morocco The Atlas Mountains and The Sahara
- Oceania Territories
- Safari Trips to Africa
- Sunny Dominican Republic
- The Huge Potential of Ukraine
- Travel Destinations in Portugal
- Travel in South East Asia
- Sights and Regions in New York City August 16, 2022 - Governors Island National Monument - NY To protect America's freedom According to Ehuacom, Governors Island is a small island in New York City Bay. The name of the island dates… Read more
- Clinton Presidential Center and Park in Little Rock, Arkansas August 9, 2022 - The Clinton Presidential Center & Park in Little Rock, Arkansas, was opened in 2004 by the William J. Clinton Foundation. It's a new major attraction in Arkansas that draws many… Read more
- Botswana Fast Facts August 2, 2022 - Botswana is a landlocked country in southern Africa, bordering South Africa, Namibia, Zimbabwe and Zambia. The country impresses with diverse nature, beautiful landscapes and its great biodiversity. It is one… Read more
- Bahrain Fast Facts July 26, 2022 - Bahrain consists of 33 islands and is located in the Arabian Gulf between Saudi Arabia and Qatar. A world of desert and water that offers variety and is particularly interesting… Read more
- Estonia Fast Facts July 19, 2022 - Estonia is located on the Baltic Sea and borders Russia and Latvia. The Baltic country has beautiful national parks and is a very interesting and inexpensive travel destination, especially for… Read more
- Grenada Fast Facts July 12, 2022 - Grenada is an island country on the island of the same name in the Caribbean. Grenada is part of the Lesser Antilles and was part of Great Britain until 1974.… Read more
- Arches National Park in Utah July 5, 2022 - Hot, arid land with red sandstone arches According to liuxers, Arches National Park is located in eastern Utah, United States. It lies at an elevation of 1,200 to 1,700 meters,… Read more
- Wind Cave National Park – South Dakota June 28, 2022 - The whistling of the stones According to Acronymmonster, Wind Cave National Park is located in western South Dakota. The national park was founded in 1903. The nearest town to Wind… Read more
- Museum of Modern Art in Los Angeles June 21, 2022 - Museum of Modern Art in Los Angeles (Los Angeles, USA) - expositions, opening hours, address, phone numbers, official website. The Museum of Contemporary Art in Los Angeles (MOCA) is rightfully… Read more
- Freedom Path in Boston, Massachusetts June 14, 2022 - Freedom Path in Boston (USA) - description, history, location. Exact address, phone number, website. Reviews of tourists, photos and videos. This is a four-kilometer route that passes through downtown Boston… Read more