The sandy desert gives the viewer the typical image of a desert, which consists of sand and sand dunes and in which of course the sun shines mercilessly from a cloudless sky. Only about 20% of all deserts on earth consist of the fine quartz sand that has shaped our image of a desert in so many films and documentaries. Here are the ten largest sandy deserts in the world, sorted in ascending order from number ten to number one:
In Turkmenistan, in Central Asia, there is the Karakum, a desert with different geographical conditions and corresponding forms of desert types from the clay desert to the desert of black sand, which roughly translates to Karakum. Of the approximately 400,000 square kilometers of desert area, a good quarter are sandy deserts.
Although the total area of the Chihuahua Desert, which is mainly in Mexico , covers almost half a million square kilometers and extends as far as Arizona in the USA, the actual sandy desert portion is only about 100,000 square kilometers. A specialty here is the White Sands gypsum desert in New Mexico, which actually consists only of gypsum crystals and takes up about 700 square kilometers.
If you want to visit the seventh largest sandy desert on earth, you have to travel to Nevada in the USA. In addition to other forms of desert and dry salt lakes, the Great Basin is also home to a sandy desert with an area of around 120,000 square kilometers.
About two thirds of the state of Syria is covered by the desert of the same name. This sandy desert also takes up parts of Jordan and Iraq. About 140,000 square kilometers of sandy desert on the Arabian Peninsula.
The Alxa or Alashan is a sandy desert in Inner Mongolia and is considered part of the Gobi Desert. With around 260,000 square kilometers, it covers by far the largest part of this autonomous region in China.
In the southwest of the Australian continent is the great Victoria Desert, the total area of which is almost 300,000 square kilometers. Most of them are sand and shifting dunes.
Like many other deserts, the Kalahari in Africa consists of various desert and savanna areas, some of which are also sandy deserts. The desert, which is largely located in Botswana and Namibia, covers a total area of around one million square kilometers, with the pure sandy desert being around 320,000 square kilometers.
Anyone who suspected that the Sahara is the largest sandy desert in the world is not entirely wrong in principle. A total of around 2.2 million square kilometers of sandy desert cover this area, but not contiguous, but interrupted by scree and gravel deserts. That is why the Sahara cannot claim the first place among the sandy deserts.
The Chinese call the Taklamakan, the second largest sand desert in the world, desert of no return for a reason. The desert in northeast China covers around 340,000 square kilometers of sandy desert with dunes that can rise to over 300 meters.
The largest contiguous sandy desert in the world and therefore the front runner is the Rub al-Kali. It covers an area of 780,000 square kilometers, with most of the desert in Saudi Arabia, but also the neighboring countries Yemen, Oman and the United Arab Emirates are covered to a smaller extent by the Rub al-Kali.
- Africa Geology
- Asia Recent History
- Bhutan Overview
- Brazil As a Tourism Country
- Ecuador The Center of The World
- How to Get to Finland
- Indonesia Travel Package
- Morocco The Atlas Mountains and The Sahara
- Oceania Territories
- Safari Trips to Africa
- Sunny Dominican Republic
- The Huge Potential of Ukraine
- Travel Destinations in Portugal
- Travel in South East Asia
- Abzakovo, Russia
- Beaches and Diving in Kenya
- Harare, Zimbabwe
- Qatar Overview
- Visa to Austria
- Visa to Bulgaria
- Visa to Croatia
- Visa to Denmark
- Visa to Egypt
- Visa to France
- Visa to Germany
- Visa to Hungary
- Visa to India
- Visa to Japan
- Visa to Latvia
- Visa to Mexico
- Visa to Netherlands
- Visa to Poland
- Visa to Spain
- Visa to Turkey
- Visa to Ukraine
- Visa to Vietnam
- Western Sahara Overview
- World Heritage Sites in Oman
- Yemen Overview
- Visa to Bulgaria December 15, 2022 - Sunny and hospitable Bulgaria is glad to tourists: the current visa legislation is one of the mildest among the EU countries. Schengen holders do not have to think about obtaining… Read more
- Visa to Austria December 15, 2022 - Russian citizens need a Schengen visa to visit Austria. The rules for filing documents generally correspond to the unified Schengen ones. According to COUNTRYAAH, Austria is a country that starts with… Read more
- Visa to Croatia December 15, 2022 - Sadly, to visit such a native and close Croatia, Russian tourists need a national visa. The situation is slightly brightened up by the abundance of visa centers in the cities… Read more
- Visa to Egypt December 15, 2022 - Egypt is extremely loyal to Russian tourists - although formally a visa to the country is required for citizens of the Russian Federation, obtaining it does not cause absolutely any… Read more
- Visa to Denmark December 15, 2022 - Denmark is one of the countries participating in the Schengen Agreement, and in order to visit it, Russian citizens must obtain a visa in advance. Documents for its registration are… Read more
- Visa to France December 15, 2022 - Romantic beauty France is European-style strict in matters of visa policy. To visit it, citizens of Russia and the CIS need a Schengen visa, which can be applied for at… Read more
- Visa to Germany December 15, 2022 - Russian citizens need a Schengen visa to travel to Germany. If a tourist plans to spend the most time in this country, you need to apply for a document at… Read more
- Visa to Hungary December 15, 2022 - Hungary attracts Russian tourists not only with historical and natural attractions, but also with inexpensive flights, so every year the flow of travelers from our country is increasing. Since it… Read more
- Visa to Japan December 15, 2022 - The simplification of the procedure for obtaining a visa to Japan has finally happened: from January 1, 2017, independent tourists are exempted from the need to use the services of… Read more
- Visa to India December 15, 2022 - India is a bright, colorful and attractive country for tourists, where people go for a variety of purposes: some want to bask on the beach and swim in the ocean,… Read more